If a parent, grandparent or older adult you love lives in a senior living community, finding a holiday gift for them might feel like a test of your imagination. Most residents of an assisted living community have limited space and have much of what they need provided. Gifts that are often appreciated by residents tend to be those that are focused on family, friends and hobbies.
Here are a few suggestions we’ve found to be popular among our residents:
- Making Memories. Scrapbooks, photo albums and videos that can be watched and looked at over and over are some of the most beloved gifts. You could even pull together what you need to make a scrapbook and bring it to your loved one so you can create it together after the holidays.
- Gift Cards. Sometimes older adults in an independent or assisted living community live on a tight budget. Affording extras like the hair salon or lunch out in the community can be tough. Gift cards can allow them to indulge in something they normally wouldn’t be able to afford.
- Back to nature. Almost everyone loves nature. For older adults who might have a little difficulty getting around, a well-placed bird feeder on or near their window can bring nature to them. Don’t forget the bird seed!
- Cards and Games. Group game times are a popular part of the activities programs in senior living communities. Purchasing a new game that can be played with neighbors will likely be a hit!
- Flower of the month club. If you are looking for a way to brighten up your loved one’s life all year long, consider signing up for a monthly floral delivery. If you select seasonal flowers, the cost will be more affordable.
- A Nintendo Wii. It isn’t just for kids! The Nintendo Wii has become very popular with seniors. It is a fun activity to do with friends and a great form of exercise.
We hope we’ve given you some good ideas to make holiday shopping for the older adult you love a little easier. If you have some suggestions we’ve overlooked, we would love to hear them. Please share them!