My grandmother recently moved to one of your assisted living communities in Michigan. I am heading home from college soon and can’t wait to see her and her new apartment on Mother’s Day!
I would like to bring my grandma a housewarming/Mother’s Day present, but I’m struggling to come up with the right gift idea. Do you have any suggestions? My mom told me space is limited, so I need to come up with something meaningful but small!
Mother’s Day Gift Guide for Grandmothers
First off, I’m happy to learn your grandmother now calls one of our communities home! She’s no doubt anxious to show you around her new place.
As far as your struggle to come up with an idea for a Mother’s Day gift idea for your grandma, you aren’t alone. It is one of the most common questions we hear from family members this time of year. And it’s why we created this gift guide. We hope it will help you and other family members who have a loved one who lives in an assisted living community.
Sentimental Mother’s Day Gifts
Most grandmothers cherish anything that highlights their family. The best Mother’s Day gift for your grandma might be one that honors that sentiment. A few ideas include:
- Scrapbook that contains photos of loved ones and memorabilia from important family milestones
- Personalized calendar that has all of your family’s important birthdays and anniversaries printed on it
- Book of coupons she can trade for time with you, such as lunch out in a local restaurant or computer lessons
Splurge Gifts for a Cherished Grandmother
If your grandmother is like many older adults, she rarely splurges on gifts for herself. So think about what she might enjoy, including activities you can do together while you are home for the summer. Some suggestions could be:
- A facial, makeover, manicure, or pedicure for the two of you to indulge in together
- Gift certificate for the in-house beauty/barber shop at her assisted living community
- Basket of pampering items for you and your grandmother to enjoy a home spa afternoon together
- Gift card to a clothing store you know your grandmother likes along with a promise to be the one to take her shopping there
Gifts to Encourage Wellness
Other gifts to consider for your grandmother might be those that encourage her to stay active. A few senior-friendly ideas could be:
- A pedometer or fitness tracker
- Walking shoes or sneakers with good support
- Active wear such as a comfortable jogging suit
- A book and/or DVD on meditation
Gifts to Support Life-long Learning
Staying mentally fit as we grow older means staying connected to friends, loved ones and the community. Here are a few gifts that make it easier for your grandmother to do just that:
- A tablet she can use to connect on social media and email
- Gift card to her favorite local craft store and a pledge to be her driver to and from the store
- Help pay for a class she’s always wanted to pursue such as guitar lessons or a French class – there are many online opportunities to continue learning
Finally, never underestimate how important the gift of your time is to your grandmother. Set up a movie night to enjoy together or an afternoon to join her for lunch and an activity at her assisted living community. She will love being able to show off her college granddaughter!
I hope these ideas help you enjoy Mother’s Day with your grandmother, Heather!